The Ultimate Website Marketing Checklist (Part 5)
This is part 5 of The Ultimate Website Marketing Strategy, click here to read part four.
8. Convert Traffic Into Subscribers
If you’ve done all of the previous steps correctly, you should start to generate a lot of traffic. It’s really not that difficult to generate traffic. It’s as simple as following a cooking recipe. It’s been done 10,000 times before, there is an exact blueprint; you just have to follow it and not make any bad mistakes.
The real task is in converting traffic into subscribers and subscribing into customers. So first, how do we convert traffic into subscribers. The first step is to get an autoresponder like Aweber. Aweber will handle your list management/emails and capture subscribers for you. The next step is to create a compelling offer to entice visitors to join your email list.
This can be as simple as a 10 page PDF or as complex as a 10 hour long video series. There’s really no explanation needed, create a free product/report to incentivize visitors to join your list. Using Aweber or some kind of opt-in form builder or popup software; strategically place opt-in forms around your site. That’s all you need to do to start building a list. Checklist:
- Signup To Autoresponder Service
- Create Free Offer To Incentivize Visitors
- Create Landing Page Promoting Offer – Promote landing page via banner/widget on site/blog
- Link Call To Actions In Blog Content To Landing Page
- Create Thank You Page Where Visitors Are Redirected After Opt-in
On top of opt-in forms in the sidebar and popups; create an actual landing page promoting the offer. Link to it at the bottom of all your blog posts, this will drive a lot of subscribers if your content is epic.
After a visitor opts-in, they will be redirected to a page, the thank you page. You should create a thank you page that welcomes subscribers to your list and gives them the free offer/report download link. You can also use the thank you page to promote a product or paid offer.
9. Email Marketing
Email marketing is the ultimate way to nurture your subscribers, build rapport and make sales. After a visitor joins your list, you can email them whenever you like. With an autoresponder like Aweber, you can create a follow-up series of emails to automatically be sent out to new subscribers at set dates.
Your email marketing strategy will greatly vary depending on the kind of business you’re operating. However the fundamentals apply to every business. Send your list free information, goodies, discounts, videos, free reports and promotions. Before you start marketing products to your list, you need to build rapport.
You do this by sending them a series of free information, reports, videos and other content.
- Craft follow-up email series designed to build rapport and lastly sell a product/s. The email series should consist of free reports, information, videos and other content.
- After X amount of time when enough rapport is built; you can start mailing subscribers product pomotions.
- Use a real name! Email marketing is far more effective when you use a personal name instead of a company/brand name. People like receiving emails from people, it feels more personal and therefore boosts open rates.
- Create attractive emails; don’t write big blocks of text. Use short and concise sentences. Make use of relevant images and headlines. Write epic subject lines.
- Measure open rates, CTR and track conversions.
Email marketing is all about testing. Split-test various subject lines and email formats, find out what works for your subscribers. Split-test email formats for optimal click through rates, track sales conversions to see which emails make the most sales.
After doing everything outlined in this ultimate website marketing checklist; you should see a lot of consistent traffic. Perhaps the most important aspect of online marketing is analytics. Analyze everything, split-test, see what works best. The 80/20 rule applies massively. 20% of your marketing/traffic generation efforts will result in 80% of your traffic and sales.
- Test as many traffic generation strategies as possible. Over time narrow down to the top 5-10 most effective strategies.
- Identify traffic opportunities and implement.
- Always modify your site/blog, change the layout, see where visitors are clicking.
- Identify the pages on your site that make the most money, leverage other pages to drive traffic to those pages.
- Pay attention to Google Analytics.
In the end, it’s all about seeing what works and what doesn’t. There’s no one strategy for every niche or business with online marketing. Your strategy should be designed for your site, and it can only be perfected over years of split-testing and optimization.
P.S. Let me know your thoughts, comments and questions below. Also opt-in to the email list on the right of this page for more website marketing tips, tricks and secrets.