How To Find A High Paying Commission Sales Job
Challenges in a Changing Economy
Times have changed. It is no longer a time where a person can find a respectable employer, work hard for them for the next 40 years, and expect to have a suitable retirement. Even more, for people starting out in entry level sales positions often bounce from company to company, looking for an income that is just not available anymore in the traditional corporate model.
Changing times means changing strategies, and this is where this article comes in.
How to find a sales job that pays you $100k per year.
1. Take an inventory of yourself. Do you have the qualities that are necessary to earn a six figure income in sales? Are you up to date on sales strategies that create success – or are you just ‘taking it as it comes?’ Successful salespeople are good at strategic planning. Successful salespeople know what they are going to do before they do it, and they follow through on their plans.
2. Create a lead generation strategy. Cold calling is a thing of the past. Today’s successful sales executives don’t cold call, they ‘warm call.’ They spend the majority of their time meeting either face to face with qualified, interested prospects, or meeting them in person. I once worked for a company in Arizona where the top salesperson was making $20,000 per month working only 30 hours per week, and that same company had salespeople earning less than $1,000 per month working 50 hours per week. The difference? Warm calling.
3. Create a strategic action plan. You need to know exactly what you want to accomplish with your sales career, and exactly how you plan on accomplishing it. You need to know who the decision makers are for your product, what demographics they fall into, how to reach them, and what they are interested in. You need to have a step by step, detailed vision of every stage of your career if you want to be a salesperson making more than $100,000 per year.
4. Be prepared for your interview. Successful salespeople can sell themselves. If you walk into an interview, and you are prepared for the toughest questions, you are dressed for the part, and you are confident, sales managers will hire you for most positions on the spot. There are countless times that I have interviewed people wanting a sales position that paid them more than $100k, but they weren’t even prepared for the interview.
5. Create a strategic plan on making sure that you are the person interviewed. Getting a good job as a salesperson is a lot like selling a service. You need to create a marketing strategy, set appointments, do presentations, and follow up. Consider landing a job like you are selling your product, and you’ll do well. Plus, the more people you have who want to hire you, the better position you are going to have when it is time to choose the company that is right for you.
Thoughts on the direction of the world economy and how it will affect your sales career:
Like I said before, these are changing times. There are now more students in India in the top 1% of their class who have an IQ of more than 120 than there are total students in North America. Read that again.
It will be very soon before the majority of traditional jobs in America are outsourced to countries that can provide faster, more reliable, better service, better technology, and better resources. The highest paid positions in the world are not going to be Tech jobs, accounting, law, medicine, or any of the traditional positions…
…they will be sales, marketing, and distribution jobs.
And even more, we are undergoing a shift away from Corporate America, where companies are figuring out that it is better business, and a smarter marketing strategy to outsource their work than it is to have traditional W-2 employees.
This leads me to my final point on how to get a sales job that pays you $100,000 per year or more:
Work as an independent contractor, and be the president of your own independent corporation. Work on a commission only, production based compensation plan that will pay you for what you produce. Learn the ropes of direct response marketing, relationship selling, and outsourcing.
If you follow those guidelines, you can find a company where you can make 10 times the profit with the same work and effort that someone will make in a sales job in corporate America. Let me give you an example.
I once worked for a company that I produced more than $40,000 in profit for them every single month. Out of their profit, I was paid approximately $5,000 per month.
Now, I work as an independent representative, but I participate in a 68% revenue share. That means that I don’t get paid a percentage of the profit, I take my earnings out of the gross revenue – and 68% of it is paid to me to conduct my business.
I cannot stress how important it is if you want to have a long lasting, profitable sales career to work for yourself.
Now, go for it!