Facebook Marketing Strategies That Actually Work
Facebook, the second most popular site in the world! As we all know, Facebook is huge. It gets a phenomenal amount of traffic and it’s an absolute gold mine for marketers/business owners who know what they’re doing. The story behind Facebook is actually quite funny. I don’t know whether or not you’ve seen The Social Network but, it’s an excellent movie that explains in detail; the true story behind Facebook.
Facebook was first started back in late 2003 by Mark Zuckerberg, right from his dorm room in Harvard University. It was first created as FaceMash which became somewhat successful. Now it’s the “power house” of social networking and is competing directly with Google for the number 1 most visited site online. I could actually go on about the Facebook story for a while (which would be pretty pointless), so I’m going to leave it at that and let you watch The Social Network.
What I’m trying to say is, there are over 500 million users on Facebook. A great percentage of them are logging in daily and updating their statuses. Mark Zuckerberg said himself, there’s no reason why it wouldn’t reach 1 billion users! That’s like 1 in 5 people on the planet… All on Facebook! Anyway, I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this… There’s a ton of people on Facebook… And without a doubt, there are almost definitely people who are interested in what you’re marketing. So if you know how to contact them, must be profitable right?
Well yeah! I get a ton of traffic from Facebook. It doesn’t compare to the traffic I receive from Google, but I still get a lot of traffic. And that traffic almost always results in leads and obviously sales. Is marketing on Facebook easy? Well, no. I actually think it’s much easier to just market on Google. BUT, then you’re leaving over 500 million potential customers on the table.
So what are best Facebook marketing strategies?
1. Using a Facebook Fan Page!
This subject is huge! I mean, you can buy entire courses on building profitable fan pages. So unfortunately, I’m not going to cover fan page marketing. As it’s a little out of the reach of this article. I’m actually going to write an entire article on fan pages, so just subscribe to the blog and you’ll receive that one shortly.
Yeah, Facebook Groups can be really effective marketing tools! They can attract a lot of attention, especially when they go viral. Let me explain the concept of Facebook Groups. A Group is similar to a Facebook page, but it’s more like a community. So how do you use Facebook Groups to grow your business? Well, you simply create your own group… Name it after yourself or company, whatever works for your business. Then you invite your friends to join. I honestly have no idea why people join groups. There’s really not much point. So what’s in it for you?
Well, you can mail everyone who joins your group! I’m not talking email, I’m talking Facebook mail! This is huge, groups are like email lists. Over the last 2 years, I’ve built over 30 groups which have well over 50,000 combined members! I have lost track of them, but they are there. Groups can be powerful! You can use them just like an email list. People check their Facebook accounts just like they check their email. In fact, more often. So if you can invite a few hundred or thousand friends who also invite just a couple of their friends who happen to invite a few others. BOOM, thousands upon thousands of members to mail. Conclusion: It really is an effective Facebook marketing strategy.
3. Posting On Facebook Walls
I have to say something about this, as everybody’s doing it. Thing is, every marketer under the sun has been spamming Facebook walls lately. It’s been a pain in the ass, especially for me. I have a lot of Facebook friends, a bunch of them I don’t even know. And you know what happens; half of them end up spamming my wall with affiliate links! It’s damn annoying and I block every one of them. So, a few words of advice… Do not post on anyone’s wall unless you directly know them! Don’t even make any contact with them. It just makes you look unprofessional and it damages your reputation.
4. Sending Messages
Yeah, blasting messages can actually work! This is a strategy I see way too many people using. In all honesty, it’s a waste of time. The only people you should be messaging are your fans and or group members. Do not mass message random friends you don’t even know. Again, it makes you look unprofessional. Also, don’t send messages to people after they accept your friend request. I see people do this all the time. For example… you get a friend request which you approve and 5 minutes later, you get a message from the person telling you that they’re ecstatic to be your friend… and they’re hoping you’ll take a look at their website. I always get messages along those lines. They are just tacky and they make you look bad! Of course, this is my opinion as I know a guy who does well using this exact strategy. It’s just not my style I guess.
5. Status Updates
Just wanted to talk about this one quickly. Updating your status with links to your site’s can drive a ton of traffic. Especially if it gets a load of activity from other users. I don’t advise you post 50 updates a day or anything close to that number. What I do recommend is for you to update your status a couple of times a day tops. Link to your site’s content or whatever you like. Just don’t spam. Once you accumulate enough friends, you’ll be able to drive some decent traffic just from updating your status. Nothing spectacular, but it’s worth incorporating into your overall Facebook marketing strategy.
Things To Do:
1. Make your Facebook profile personal. Making your profile personal is really important. Don’t make it all about your business or people will hate you. It’s really as simple as that. Just make sure you have a couple of real photos of yourself and maybe your family. You want to make your profile seem legitimate. Fill it out with real information, tell the world about you and what you get up to. At the same time, it’s totally ok to add a link to your blog or website under your photo. It’s up to you.
2. Network with other like minded individuals. You might have to join a few relevant groups to find these people. Do it and send a bunch of friend requests. Depending on what business you’re in, this may or may not apply to you. But if you’re a marketer like me who is selling something personal, you should connect with Facebook friends from time to time.
3. Join relevant groups and fan pages. What’s the point? Well, it will get a bunch of like minded individuals to “friend you”. It will also make your profile a little more “legitimate” and friendly.
4. Start your own group! If you’re a marketer… Call it “The Official Group Of Your Name”, anything goes on Facebook. The important thing is to be creative. Once you have your group, invite your Facebook friends. Then invite some more. Your group should naturally grow by itself. Just remember that it’s exactly like an email list. You can broadcast messages to ALL of your members any time you like.
5. Post good content on your wall! Videos, articles, blog posts and webinar invitations. Anything like that. Just provide value on your Facebook wall and people will love it. If you have a blog, then post links to your latest posts. It’s a great way to build a following and it makes you look good.
P.S. Don’t forget to leave your thoughts, and ask questions below – let’s rock it out If you really want to understand how to become a master of Facebook Marketing, put your email into the form on the right.