21 Tips For The Ultimate Blog Setup
Article by davidmwood
David has written 389 awesome articles for us at David Wood's MLM Marketing Prosperity Blog
October 14, 2011 • 10 Comments
Starting a blog can be seriously overwhelming. Domains, hosting, blogging platforms, permalinks and more. Creating the perfect blog setup takes lots of tweaking, testing and hard work. Back when I got started my blog sucked. The design was crappy, I didn’t know how to track anything and I could barely structure a blog post.
After a lot of learning, I managed to setup my first WordPress blog. It was using a free theme that was pretty awful, and I failed to change the permalink settings (they structure your blog URL’s). I left all the default pages live, hadn’t a clue what a plugin was and I started blogging about random crap nobody cared about. I tried to promote my blog a while after, but failed impeccably.
Once I got round to learning SEO and link building, nothing worked since I messed up my permalink settings. Anyway, the point is that you need help with your blog setup. Unfortunately it’s not a onetime thing. You’ll always need to update WordPress, your plugins, change your theme from time to time and on-site settings.
…I struggled for a while and over the years put together a list of tips for the ultimate blog setup:
- Have A Game Plan Before You Start
- Choose A Great Domain That’s “Brandable” And Easy To Remember
- Choose A Reliable Hosting Service (Hostgator is great)
- Install WordPress On Root Domain (Not Joomla or some other platform, WordPress is superior)
Basic WordPress Setup:
- Invest In Custom Blog Theme
- If You Can’t Afford A Custom Design, Choose Professional Theme For Under $100
- Change Permalinks To Custom: /%postname%/
- Delete Default Comment
- Delete Default Post
- Delete Default Page
- Delete Default Plugin Hello Dolly
- Setup Sidebar: Add Recent Posts, Categories & Comments Widgets
- Create RSS Feed With Feedburner: Place RSS Widget In Sidebar/Somewhere
- Create And Add Favicon
- Make Use Of The Footer
- Create Several Categories
- Add About Page
- Add Contact Page
- Add Any Others According To Your Needs
- Install Sitemap Using Google XML Sitemap Plugin
- Find Group Of Keywords For Home Page (Use the Google Keyword Tool, you need to find keywords you can target and rank for in the search engines)
- Install And Configure All In One SEO – Input compelling title and description incorporating keywords.
- Make sure Category Pages Display Excerpts Of Posts
- Display List Of Recent Posts With EXCERPTS On Home Page
- Make Sure You Have Lots Of Internal Links
- Use LinksWithin To Display Other Posts Below Posts
- Connect Blog With Google Webmaster Tools And Analytics
- Check For Crawl Errors Using Webmaster Tools “Diagnostics”
- Increase Blog Speed
- Use SEO Strategy For New Websites
- Use The Ultimate Blog Post Checklist
- Create Great Content Multiple Times Weekly
- Increase Blog Traffic
- Promote Your Blog
- Decrease Bounce Rate
- Increase Page Rank
- 5 Lessons I Learnt Along The Way
- Build An Email List
- Increase Conversions And Boost Traffic
This post contains a lot of value and an endless amount of information on building a successful blog. At the end of the day blogging is all about putting out great content, promotion and branding. Get those three things right and nothing will stop you!
P.S. I hope you enjoyed this short post, make sure you read some of the linked posts too. Anyway, let me know your thoughts, comments and questions in the box below.
P.P.S. Join my list damnit! If you’re reading this then you probably made it through my entire post. So clearly you found it useful, put your name and email address in the form below for more blogging tips, tricks and secrets.
Tags: 21 tips for the ultimate blog setup, blog setup, blogging, custom blog theme, delete default plugin, setting up your blog, tips for blog setup, ultimate blog post, ultimate blog setup, wordpress blog setup